6TH Grade Dance Wheel Course Description
All 6th grade students on the PE Wheel will take a 9 week course in dance. This course will consist of instruction in Latin & Ballroom dancing.
Students will also study dance history, basic dance vocabulary, and lessons that coincide with their quarterly interdisciplinary themes.
1. Beginner Dance Instruction in the following dances:
- Cha Cha
- American Tango
*Students will also learn the origins and history of these Latin/Ballroom dance’s as
well as other Latin/Ballroom dances.*
2. Students will receive weekly instruction with a focus on the following:
- Basic steps/Turns
- Cuban motion
3. Dance History (Quarterly Interdisciplinary Themes):
- Q1- History of Egyptian Dance
- Q2- History of Mayan & Aztec Dance
- Q3- History of Greek Dance
- Q4- History of Chinese Dance
4. Dancing and Fitness
- Importance of Fitness in Dance
- Importance of Eating Healthy
- How dance contributes to a healthy lifestyle, as well as its influence on self, culture and discipline.
- Quizzes or tests on the various lessons.
- Pre/Post Tests
- Class Participation/Effort
- Dance Evaluation on the various dances covered